Sunday 24 January 2016

Sunday, January 17th, 2016

Sunday, January 17th, 2016
Miami, Florida

With My Friends

In Houston I had paced back and forth in Abhay and Sukriti’s backyard. They were my hosts and I was thrilled to have access to a car free zone. The grass and ground, a little uneven in spots, was just ideal for pacing, and I liked the ambience for what I could see through the nighttime darkness. Bordering the suburban property is a pear tree – also papaya, pomegranate, peach, banana, and some other trees that I just couldn’t identify, lined the property. I saw them as my friends, with their leaves tossing in the night wind. They were doing what they were supposed to be doing and I felt I was doing what I was obliged to do, walking and chanting. It is their dharma to produce fruit (at least I could see the pomegranates forming on their parent tree), and it is my dharma to be doing something spiritual. Our guru, Srila Prabhupada, once wrote, “Humanity begins when Inquiring is awakened in the mind.” Well, I’ve been on my quest, it was 44 years ago that I began my quest, and I somehow or other landed with those interesting Hare Krishnas. No regrets.

I flew to Miami and met my host, Lee, a lawyer in South Miami. I then attended the Iskcon Miami Sunday Open House, on the corner of Virginia and Day in Coconut Grove. What a marvelous event it was. This is a great community that has been somewhat struggling in certain ways.

My visit was to encourage.

May the Source be with you!

9 km

No comments: