Saturday 2 January 2016

Sunday, December 27th, 2015

Sunday, December 27th, 2015
Toronto, Ontario

Oil Texan

There has been a great hype in and around the temple, and that has much to do with what we call the Prabhupada Book Marathon. Devotees all over the world consider the month of December to be THEE month for pressing forward with distribution of books on Krishna Consciousness.

Last evening I just missed the book distribution crew at Yonge and Dundas as they dismantled early, being that it was such a long day for them. At 6 AM they started interacting with the public on Boxing Day. I had walked to the destination point only to find I was late .

While I was there I met Joel, who could easily identify myself within the crowd. Ironically, I couldn’t recognize him. Joel was geared up in cowboy attire and all done up in black. He looked like an oil Texan. He is one of those street actors who stand statuesque for some change. I’ve seen him in the past as Spiderman and multiple other heroes.

“This is my livelihood, I can’t hold down a job,” he said. I admit though, that he is good at what he does. He is a crowd pleaser. He told me he has shelves full of Bhaktivedanta Book Trust material because he’s met so many Hare Krishnas over the years. When friends come over to his place, they get convinced that he’s a Krishna man. Of all of his getups, I doubt that he has one where he will be dressed as a Krishna monk. Come to think of it, I don’t even know what Joel really looks like because he’s always in garb and covered in paint in so many incarnations. He’s definitely found his niche, he’s an entertainer. He’s got his dharma down, but like all of us, he could add a little dash of spirituality in the day.

May the Source be with you!

5 km


 

No comments: