Thursday 5 November 2015

Thursday, October 29th, 2015

Thursday, October 29th, 2015
Mapleton, Pennsylvania

Mapleton By The Sand Mill


I had just trudged through thorny brush, gone up and down a steep ridge, through a low creek, over some train tracks, and finally on to a road which lead me to a porch of someone by the name of Jim.  It was here that I asked Jim, “Where am I?”  And Jim, rather delighted to be asked by a man in orange, responded, “You’re on Callowhill Street.”  Out came his mother, his senior by 17 years (both are rather elderly), to join us.  She was very startled to see me.  She went back inside the house and then returned with the ‘Daily News’.  “You’re on the front page.”
I had challenged the off-the-route trail to rediscover an old one, one that included a quaint iron bridge over the highway.  After a few warm moments with Jim and his mom, she asked me about my origin. 
“Ontario,” I said, which was followed with a remark,
“Toronto!  The Blue Jays!  They beat my New York Yankees.”  I admitted to not following baseball.  In any case, I admit that a game of any sort brings people together. 
Vivasvan, Mandala, and I, accepted an invitation from Daniel Hugh at the end of the day’s trek.  His place happened to be only two doors away from Jim’s in the small town of Mapleton.  Daniel works for correctional services.   We chatted at his home and sipped on apple cider.  Funny, but it was the first day since beginning this trek from Boston that I could not find an apple tree.  So here we were, sipping on apple cider.  Daniel also just got married.  Congratulations! 
The other major encounter with a human soul was with Dane who had just come up from down the river where he caught an 18 inch bass.  Another congratulations.  “Do take my card and enjoy the mantra on the reverse side.”  I left him leaving with what I consider a gift.  There are a few items that sustain me on this walk – my team members, my legs, my guru, and the mantra.  Once in a while, I get a chance to snatch an apple off a tree.

May the Source be with you!

21 miles / 33 km

No comments: