Wednesday 12 August 2015

Monday, July 27th, 2015


Monday, July 27th, 2015
Toronto, Ontario

Heatwave/Go to the lake

A heatwave has come and is here to stay for some time according to weather forecasters. To address it, I told Nick, “I want to go to the lake. Do you want to come?”

“Sure! How?” said Nick.

“We can ride the subway together. Take the lead, please. You know your way around better than I. Let’s go to the Beaches and the boardwalk where Shrila Prabhupada (our Guru) walked in ’75.” Nick was excited.

For someone who rarely “rides the rocket" (as people here say about the transit system), I found it rather novel and adventurous. Usually I like to walk to places and forgo paying for the “rocket” but today, well, the Beaches are a distance away. From Yonge Street Subway to Queen Street streetcar we went. Then we promenaded to the Beaches and then onto that 2.5 km boardwalk. At the end of the boardwalk we dawned swimming trunks and dipped into what seemed like icy waters. The swim was a 2 minute affair but it was worth it. It did the job. Back home onto sand and into devotional attire.

We then made the return journey to the ashram and all the while chanted on our beads. It always pays off to be out there for some exposure. At one subway stop while waiting for the train a young woman approached me, “Hi, remember me? I am Rakesh Bandhari’s daughter.”

Of course I remembered. Her dad flew in his private plane to the town where I was walking in 1996. Rakesh brought his young daughter with him to take a few steps together through the Victorian settlement of Brockville. That was a nice gesture. I felt so supported on that cool autumn day having these 2 companions with me.

I failed to catch the name of the now grown young female adult. Both of us were caught in the joy of collective reminiscence. It was sweet and it was an opportunity to exchange “Hare Krishna’s”.

Readers, please be out there and wear devotional clothing if possible. People will spot you. It excites the soul and they will come to you and question or comment.

 
May the Source be with you!

6km

No comments: