Sunday 8 February 2015

Friday, January 30th, 2015

Toronto, Ontario

Happiness and Its Shadow


I had the greatest time at the Bhakti Lounge.  I was given the topic, “Happiness and Its Shadow” to speak on.  From the angle of the Vedas which is the literal heartbeat of Indian culture, I spoke, as well as from some experience.  I guess you can say, “Happiness is a natural state which has spiritual origins.”  This was the beginning of our discussion with our group.  I have referenced a phrase, ananda mayo bhyasat, which means everyone is seeking joy.  I believe everyone realized at that point.  Another reality felt by the group is that each and every one of us know both joy and pain.  We have all visited both camps.  When I expressed that ultimate contentment comes out of enlightenment from being cognizant, they listened well.  When I mentioned that ignorance beckons pain, it resonated. 

The group was young, average age from 20 – 30.  When we spoke about social pressures along the lines of sex and substance use, everyone identified with the point of instant stimulation, but how on the course of impulsiveness the senses enjoy, but the intelligence was asleep.  When body, mind and brain are all alert, when thoughtfulness is introduced, then one stands a better chance of avoiding instant gratification for long term satisfaction. 

In the promiscuous world that we currently live in, little guidance is given to our young, and as a result, they become very vulnerable and end up being hurt.  Happiness really must have more depth than a cheap thrill arousal.  Our guard must be up.  “Let us first grab a hold of our true identity, I am a spirit, I am not the body.  This is a good start for understanding and to bathing in the pool of happiness. 

May the Source be with you!

6 KM

No comments: