Wednesday 14 March 2012

Monday, March 12th, 2012

Water, Fire, a Post                                                                          

Winnipeg, Manitoba

At 3AM, ponds had formed. Snow and ice accompanied the thaw. The street and not sidewalks were safe as I ambled my way through Winnipeg’s ‘granola belt’ along Westminster Ave. I dodged the rare car. All but newspaper delivery boys and bakers are asleep.

At the corner of Canora St. I saw sparks flying from the hydro post. It was postered to death. I saw transparent tape flapping in the wind and its adjoining poster just ready to release themselves from their anchor, the post. As I inched my way close to the odd pole, it was clear that my eyes didn’t deceive. Someone had likely stuck a cigarette behind a poster which had been sparked. It was a prank.

I called 911. They put me onto the fire department. With efficiency like nothing else within 3 ½ minutes two fire trucks arrived. But in the meantime two police officers on patrol honoured the stop sign at Westminster and Canora. I alerted them. One of the officers pulled out his extinguisher and released his chemical smoke; the flames and sparks were now dissolved.

The two departments, fire and police, were happy to have met an early dawn monk.

The late morning time slot brought Daruka and I to Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish. The local priest facilitated a small meeting of parishioners, one of whom had invited us two to the discussion. We had great exchanges. The priest lived as a Trappist monk for a time.

In the downtown residence of Winnipeg, ponds had expanded into lakes by 6PM. Traffic made inaccessible for pedestrians. Here was a sure way to get feet wet. And at 108 Chestnut St., ISKCON’s home, our evening was wrapped up with songs from Bhaktivinode, the most celestial of songwriters. He beckons for Krishna to send him in the body of a lonely worm so long as he is in the home of a Vaishnava where he is guaranteed future spirituality.

10 Km

No comments: