Friday 2 December 2011

Thursday, December 1st, 2011

The Case of the Bull

Toronto, Ontario

It has been a mild November. Leaves are still the dominant reality, and not snow, as they are strewn by Mother Nature on her own surface. Six men, I say 6, were blowing leaves off a front yard, with their very un-macho noise making machinery. That struck a nostalgic nerve of a yesteryear to a leaf raking back flash.

On Mount Pleasant Avenue the traffic speed lulled to make way for paramedics in a rush. The sirens gave alert. On into Moore Park Ravine, my daily pilgrim path, and I spotted yet another hornet's nest to add to the count of five days before. Hey, I'm counting 'days' too.

One woman in the ravine held one dozen dogs on leashes. I said to the dog sitter, "That's a little bit over-kill, isn't it?" She broke into a smile and agreed. Another dog owner expressed that his pet loves it down there, "And so do I," about himself.

At Evergreen Brickworks a beaver enjoyed his simultaneous bath and swim. My near presence to him didn't phase him at all.

Back up to street level and I pass by a newsstand where I caught a glimpse of a headline. Apparently the Ontario Government will pass legislation on anti-bullying, especially targeted for the school premises. Anyone caught being aggressive could face expulsion. "That's progressive implementation," I thought.

I also thought of the bad rap bulls get when we use the phrase 'bullying'. I was raised on a farm. Bulls are nice creatures. And for almost 40 years I'm linked up to a culture that adores cows and their counter parts. In the secular society we call somone whose physically mean a 'bully'. A graphic expression of anger is explained as 'a bull in a China shop'. In Spain the national sport is to kill a bull and everyone rejoices. And when we express disdain, we say, 'B.S.'.

Poor things! They deserve a better reputation.

Our temple ashram is on the verge of acquiring milk from ahimsa cows, meaning cows that won't be slaughtered. Unfortunately the bulls are 'sent away' if you know what I mean. If reason has a place you can say, 'without the bull there will be no milk, him being the breeder.' and that's 'no bull'. Oops, I caught myself. See how conditioned we are. I believe we should start a Bull Pride campaign.

In India the bull represents dharma. He's labelled as the Father of Duty. I believe India's got it right. His reputation needs boosting. He deserves some R.E.S.P.E.C.T. Sing it out, Aretha Franklin! Let's stand up for the old boys!

9 Km

No comments: