Wednesday 21 July 2010

Thursday, July 15th, 2010

Freeing the Guy

Toronto, Ontario

Have you ever freed a soul? I can proudly say I have, on several occasions. When the night is on and you move your feet through the wooded streets you sometimes hear a voice in distress. I found this courageous little raccoon had climbed in to this tall trash bin and helplessly couldn’t make his way out. I could only hear a struggle, the sound of claws, gnawing at something in a vain effort, then I saw him. He was frightened and wanted liberation.

I carefully proceeded to tip the bin to a level that this little one could see pavement. Well, he dashed out of there as fast as the soul might leave its body for another one. It felt good seeing him go. I wondered how many hours in the night he was held in captivity? The little fellow didn’t have a chance to escape unless someone cared enough to release him. Then it came to my mind as I was trekking on, “I was trapped in a trashy bin of material desires for so long and it took the care of a kind person (our Guru, Srila Prabhupada) to release me. How many life times I have been engaged is unfathomable? The grace of guru is also unfathomable.

The next time I hear a scratch or a squirm from a night time friend I will selfishly help that creature if I can to escape. If only to put me in a moment of gratitude.

8 KM

No comments: