Saturday 19 July 2008

Sunday July 6th, 2008

Sunday July 6, 2008: Towaco, New Jersey, USA

I had trekked the Manhattan bridge on the previous day. Today I rode the subway, which runs a line on this monstrosity of a bridge. A quick zip over to Tompkins Square Park, along with the youth bus crew, will be memorable. I met Eddie, who migrated from Prague decades ago. " I know Prabhupada! I met him personally. I know him!" he told me excitedly. " He rented a room from my friend. I have seen him and talked to him."

With little else to say, he was simply content to pull me to the side and conveyed proudly that he had come in contact with a man of a very special kind. For him, the monk Prabhupada, who at seventy years of age crossed the ocean, had two serious heart attacks, and risked his life to deliver the science of the Bhagavad-gita to America, was his hero.

I did some shopping. After a run and subway ride to Manhattan's B&H Superstore with Manu, our bus tour group leader, purchases were made in the audio department. This is an efficiently run store, operated by Orthodox Jews. Following this, I managed to make it to a theatre costumer. I asked the management for a discount on a theatre prop. The owner came to the counter after being paged. On the basis of non-profit, I made my plea. As quick as you can snap your fingers, he said, "A ten percent discount!"

I was stunned. I gave him my thanks and a spontaneous, " Can I give you a hug? " He reacted as if it was a first time line. "Just take it to the desk," he said as straight and business like as could be. Finally he did show up at the counter and unfroze like the kindest person.

The evening's performance showed some improvement over last night, despite limited technical special effects.

God's mercy on us all!

4km

No comments: