Friday 23 November 2007

Winnipeg, Manitoba

Monday, November 5, 2007 Winnipeg, Manitoba
I was walking towards the home of my hosts for tonight's satsang, home program, when I met curious young man at the corner of Sherbrooke and Portage. As I stood there waiting for the light to change, I looked at the figure standing next to me.
"It's cold," said the oriental man.
"Yes, it has suddenly turned into winter here." After nature's dumping of hail-stones the snow flurries came.
"This is the first time I've ever seen snow," he remarked with a child's excitement in his eyes and in his voice.
"Get ready, there's more to come." I had wanted to say in an Al Jolson tone, "You ain't seen nothin' yet," but I didn't think he would understand the style or the word 'ain't.' "What country are you from?"
"Viet Nam," he replied with a smile.
We talked a little more but it was time to part and time to walk. Walking keeps you warm.
It's always the robes that initiate the friendships. Had I been wearing regular civilian clothes, the chance of meeting this fellow were slim. Another gentleman pulled over at McPhillips, got out of his car and offered a ride. That's rare in the city and in the dark. It was the robes.
Finally I reached the home of Varun and Prianka where chanting took prominence during the visit. The small gathering was pleased to pleased to recieve the sadhu (monk) as is customary for East Indian families.
7 kms

No comments: