Monday 18 January 2021

Saturday, January 16, 2021

Ramsden Park, Toronto

 

Esa

 

It is 3:10 a.m. on the 16th and I’ve had my sleep and shower. I opened the window to welcome in the air with much prana, then sat down to compose another poem as a tribute to Esa Khalief, now departed, who, in many ways, was like a son to me. Before I wrap up a little about yesterday, I’m sharing my tribute in words to him. Bless you, Esa.

 

Esa

 

Esa, you’re gone, but you aren’t really

You’re simply moving on for a healing

It’s service you became acquainted with

The rewards as such are clearly no myth

You spent much time where prasadam was made

For that you’ll jump up to a higher grade

You trekked a holy trail at a very good pace

With conviction and purpose all over your face

Perhaps walking was your actual calling

As natural as found any baby’s crawling

While on that trek you held on to your beads

Knowing that chanting is the most noble of deeds

In your tasks you embraced a sense of duty

Just as in you’re rich, resonant voice that there was beauty

Like all of us you contended with a dark side

For you, Esa, the rays of the sun were so wide

            -Bhaktimarga Swami, The Walking Monk©

 

In reflection of this young man, I ambled along a row of sycamore trees acknowledging how great they are. Every person who comes to this world appears, stands by, contributes something and moves on. Each soul adds grace like the trees.

 

May the source be with you!

3 km


 

No comments: