Saturday 31 October 2020

Saturday, October 24, 2020

Brampton, Ontario

 

Ladhoo Exchange

 

I hadn’t met Juhi’s parents before and I was honoured to participate in her pre-engagement program. Nice folks she has, from Punjab originally.

 

Her fiancé is Rishab, whom I’ve known since he was a kid. His parents, Rajasuya and Surabhi, of South Indian descent, are sishyas, or students of mine. At their home two families came together, and I, for an impromptu engagement. There were no engagement rings, but two pieces of ladhoo, sweet-balls made of chickpea flour, were exchanged lovingly between the two love birds.

 

Juhi and Rishab were high school sweethearts. They accepted my blessings as a couple, as far as I could tell. They listened to my message about being loyal once the knot is tied in marriage. I suggested to them to stay on the trail of dharma, righteousness.

 

“Keep Krishna in the centre,” I recommended. “Don’t let differences create a gap. Rather, honour such complementary dynamics.”

 

I do wish them the best and that their relationship grows just like Rajasuya and Surabhi’s backyard garden has. Mature and ripe beans, tomatoes and kale are abound in the back.

 

Our meal was like a shepherd’s pie minus meat. “Veggie squares,” is what Seema called it. It was other-worldly and the squash soup was to die for. The food was enough to cause a nap on our return to the ashram, but before that pleasant doze, while Rishab was behind the wheel, Juhi was curious about my entrance into monkhood. I usually appreciate the question.

 

No walking today but stretching the legs became a reality.

 

May the source be with you!

0 km


 

No comments: