Saturday 7 September 2019

Saturday, August 31st, 2019


Halifax, Nova Scotia

The Slowest Team

I was told: "When you get out of the apartment building you're on Washmill Lake Drive.  Go right, then left on Main Street." 

I'm often impatient about waiting to go anywhere, so I decided to get a headstart on foot.  "Please pick me up," I requested.

"Sure.  We'll only be five minutes," said Marshall, our driver, who was going to take us to the popular Harbourfront in the downtown.  I was skeptical about the punctuality.  Anyway, a pleasant walk it was, though the sun was a bit much.  I came to an end, or rather Bedford Highway in front of me.  Now what?  I called for further instructions.  I wanted quality time for us to chant in public but the "five minute" time slot really was becoming stretched out.

I asked a Chinese student at the juncture, "Do you know what direction I take to get to the Harbourfront?"

"You take this bus..."

"Sorry, excuse me.  I'm walking."

In disbelief, he responded, "No, you can't do that!"  He was shaking his head in a jittery fashion.

"No worries.  I walked Canada four times."

"Nooo,”  he said with the ‘O’ elongated.

Another pedestrian guided me:  "Take the Bedford Highway, then Windsor Street.  That goes forever."

So I proceeded on, with no sign of my chanting monks.  I passed by a cemetery where Titanic corpses were buried one hundred and seven years ago.  Finally Marshall called. 

"A little late?" I sarcastically breathed out.  Three people—Marshall, Samuel and Angiras were letting me down.  At least I was getting some walking in.  I passed The Forum, then a funeral home.  Finally the van with the three pulled up.  "Sloths," I thought.

We got to the Harbourfront, unloaded our instruments and began chanting.  It was busy.  Near our chanting location was one of those displays (much like a sandwich board) with holes for poking your head through.  It was used a lot.  I looked to see.  It was propped up with three holes in it for my team of sloths.  "Let's take a picture of the three sloth monks."

Snap!

May the Source be with you!
6 km

No comments: