Monday 13 October 2014

Friday, October 3rd, 2014

North York, Ontario

No Sugar Please

The gentleman was oncoming on foot southbound on Bathurst, likely on his way to a local synagogue. He was in black except for a white shirt and he bore the standard small Jewish skull cap called a kippa or yarmulke.  He carried a book, a holy one, and I surmised that within minutes by sundown Yom Keppur would start.

Most of all he wore a smile as he got close to me and then had a question.  "So it's Buddhist, Hindu...?"

"Krishna,” I said, "Hare Krishna, Hindu connected".

“Yes, I'm an architectural landscapist.  I did the temple on the west end (of Toronto), the Swami Narayan temple.”  I was impressed with his open-ness and warmth.  He even complimented the colour of my attire, "I'm just in black."

He pointed to the building where he was going to meet and read with the boys, "Most of them are old hippies,” he remarked.  We had more exchange.  I think he will remember me as 'the walking man' while I will remember him as 'the friendly Jew'.

My sister lives just off of Bathurst where so many folks of the Torah live.  She had invited me along with another sister to get together and have a birthday cake for me, a bowl of cut melon really - with grapes in the center.  It beats a cake with all that sugar in it.

I relayed my encountered with Mr. Friendly to Connie and Pauline, my sisters, I guess to let them know that walls dont need to be between faiths.  That lead to a discussion about cultures of meagre tolerance and of fear and hate.

Anyways, let's not go too deep there, it's my birthday.  We were also careful not to talk about Rob Ford, the mayor.  Okay!

May the Source be with you!

5 KM

No comments: