Sunday 24 November 2013

Friday, November 22nd, 2013

With The Gods

Toronto, Ontario

Temperatures at night were going to go below the freezing point.  As I was preparing for that nighttime stroll that’s been habit this week, several people became my mothers.  It had drizzled, winds were picking up in addition to there being a plummeting of degrees.  So I donned my hoodie over a saffron coloured sweatshirt.  That wasn’t good enough though for my well intentioned friends as I was about to go out the door.

“You’ll need your coat, Maharaja.”  “Are you sure you’ll be warm enough?”  I simply had to remind those concerned well wishers that I’m not going to be standing at a bus stop freezing to death.

“I’m walking. Walking, in and of itself, is the most powerful mechanism for the emission of heat.”  We have this furnace within that stokes up as soon as you move those feet.  It’s the legs and feet that fire up the whole body.  As you put feet in motion, it’s like striking the flint; initially sparks will fly and then a combustible flame ignites.

Agni, the god of fire, which is the origin or root word for ‘ignite’ or ‘ignition’, will visit you.  He’s with you, even in the presence of Vayu, the wind god, who definitely tagged along for the stretch along College Street (I have yet to explore who the god of cold is, but he’s out there).  Generally the demigods all work either in concert or in competition.  You are never alone.

A young student, Durjoy, was next to me on the trek on College.  He was all bundled up and at one point brought up the topic once again, “Aren’t you cold?”

“No, I’m not cold, I am a spirit,” I wanted to say.  I assured him that Agni was with us, so I’m warm.  In all honesty, I didn’t mind the company of the elements at all.  They are the reason for keeping silent at times.  They are communicating with you and it’s always a good thing to acknowledge their presence without too much intimidation.  They are personalities and are devotees of the Great Spirit.

So all that is needed is to chill out so to speak.

May the Source be with you!

5 KM

No comments: