Sunday 10 March 2013

Wednesday, March 6th, 2013

Bricks

Mayapura, West Bengal

Jaya Gaura accompanied me on the trail today. He is a brahmacari from Guyana. Jokingly I asked, “Are we the only ones today or are there any other Guyansters to join us?”

With a smile he said, “No Maharaj, all the Guyansters are sick with colds and flus.” So we marched on down the dusty Tarampura Road, then along the Jalangi River Trail and then the Bhaktisiddhanta Road. Temples are being built along the main road.

We observed one construction worker. Quite amazing! It’s another world here. Things are done on a humble scale. So there he was with rag folded on his head, a board on top of that and then one by one, tier upon tier of two bricks abreast. He was stacked up to six layers and had done so without a complaint, walking his load to the building site a few meters away. For a few rupees he’ll be at it all day. Honest living. And that can inspire me almost as much as a sadhu (holy man) chanting on his beads without a heart. HONESTY is big and it is mentioned in the Gita as a trait of an evolved human.

In a break-out session, I sat with peers to discuss the pro and re-active responses to spiritual leaders who hit dark hours. That was an exercise that stretches the brain.

But in review of the day I’ll rewind back to the morning. I had been asked to lead the kirtan chanting in the main temple room beginning with the song in praise of the guru, “Samsara davanala….” regarding the mercy of the guru and how his/her kindness can affect a change in the wheel of life cycles.

Before I got behind the mic I thought, “March 6th was my day to lead. What else? Yes I have a sibling a year and a half younger than me and it’s her birthday.” This chant is in honor of you, Connie, as a dedication. May the good vibes come your way!

7 KM

No comments: