Thursday 8 November 2012

Wednesday, November 7th, 2012

Some Heroes

Warren, Ohio

“But in every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.” – John Muir (conservationist hero).

Down by Rocky River reads this plaque. Three comrades and I decided to make the drive down the ramp at Mustik Road, and then to the valley, “to receive far more” by way of walking. Everyone I know here in Cleveland expects from me that request – let’s walk a trail. We do then enjoy each other’s contribution of words and what the raw world of nature offers. To me anyone who takes to the trail is a hero, to the exception of my humble self.

Speaking of heroes, my good friend Akhilananda, who is involved in pastoral services took me to Warren to see a prisoner. His name is Arjun and I’ve mentioned him before. He is highly respected by inmates and security. He grew up in the family and circle of friends of Bob Marley. Bob had Arjun, then Aaron as a toddler, on his lap on occasions. Arjun told us of another of his heroes who grew up with him in his childhood.

Jason Dawd, copilot to a Jet Blue aircraft a few months back, successfully landed a plane when the main pilot went under a seizure or some fit attack. Passengers and flight attendants fought for their lives when they held down the pilot whose intention was to crash the plane (so it was told to me). Jason, Arjun’s school friend became a national hero overnight for saving the lives of all those passengers. Akhilananda recently met Jason being from the same area in Ohio.

At the tail end of our visiting session with Arjun, I encouraged him to study carefully the traits of a hero. Bhagavad Gita, 18.42 identifies peacefulness, self control, self discipline, purity, tolerance, honesty, wisdom, acting wise, and being dutiful as attributes of heroism.

7 KM

No comments: