Monday 16 April 2012

Sunday, April 15th, 2012

Impressions in the White

Edmonton/Calgary

For a chanting route I took to a short suburban sidewalk in Edmonton's south end. It was covered half inch in snow. I decided to make my mark at the early hour of 4:30 Am on Sunday. No one really had the chance to make tracks like I did, except for a hare, who left his mark partially on the sidewalk and partially not. There was something organic about his trail, where as I was rigid. Nevertheless, we both made our mark.
 
When I walked the length of Ireland from Belfast to Cork, one day, a dog decided to trail along next to me. I recall how the owner came anxiously in her vehicle looking for her pet some kilometres down the road. She was a little peeved with me for an assumed luring away the dog, that's beside the point. This canine creature, part labrador I'd say, was friendly towards me. He did something that I guess is common for dogs. Every few metres he would lift his leg and discharge fresh urine (not on me though) - his way of staking territory or making his mark. Everyone has their way of saying "I was here and I did such and such a thing, I made a contribution to this world."
 
Now, my rigid walk in the snow was a clear sign that I was here, and that I made a contribution by packing down snow and leaving an imprint. I have gone up and down this brief sidewalk pacing back and forth, and it looked like a crowd of people that came through. I though maybe someone will eventually hit the trail and wonder what hoard came through here in this quiet suburb. And after almost two hours of pressing into the snow, and leaving my mark, more snow fell from the sky. It was time to terminate walking and chanting. I realize that because of the new snow, that although I left my mark, it would all vanish in time. All footprints would be covered - all is temporary. I finally spotted the hare who made fresh tracks as I left.
 
My simple realization on this, although it is imperative that you make your mark in this world, it will eventually vanish. Who in the end will acknowledge it? It is only Krishna who sees what you've done.
 
10 Km (Krishna Marks)

No comments: