Monday 7 November 2011

Friday, November 4th, 2011

A Rather Regular Day

Toronto, Ontario

I had not the chance in the morning for a brisk walk due to plane travel from Columbus. When you get home after being absent even for two or three days, and avalanche of tasks descend on your lap. Happily there are the usual emails from hopeful communicators. There are issues to discuss with ashram dwellers and with people who come to do volunteer services. I had two sibling sisters who came for a surprise visit which I was really charmed about. It meant I had to delay walking. How important is it to prioritize?

I don't mind being swamped or being under some pressure as long as Krishna is centre stage and as long as I can get a breather now and then. Then I accomplished for the day as the sun began to sink. The weather was near-freezing. I went out in my thick hemp robes. One man who was placing these deep red dogwood branches in a municipal planter stopped and wanted to know, "How about when it's real winter?"

"I'll wear a coat."

"How about long-johns?" he queried.

"I'll do that too. We have to be practical and use our brains."

He went on to say, "Yeah, we have to use the gifts we've been given."

"Thanks for being concerned," I said, no sarcasm intended.

I proceeded on, walking a steady pace to keep warm, I walked the brain as well, thinking that the human gift is to be introspective, spiritual. "We must follow our nature," is the message of the Gita in chapter Four.

When I returned to the temple/ashram (my home) I was handed a slip of paper with a quote from Einstein:

"Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid."

6 Km

No comments: