Monday 31 October 2011

Friday, October 28th

Some Power at the Power Plant

“For my training in doing long-distance walking I explored the trails of the Greater Toronto Area. One of them took me along the lake, which curved away form the coastline to accommodate the building and the complex we are in right now and I wonder what go on in there?"

After saying Happy Diwali to a crowed of 200 at one of canada largest nuclear plant, these where my words. I was asked to be the guest speaker to employees here who where from various ethnic backgrounds (mostly your standard white canadians) to say something about Diwali. Being introduced as the walking monk I opened up with the above words and then continued.

“On the new moon of this time of year is a celebration of good over evil when King Rama had slain the demon Ravana and returned home, when the spirit of surrender over comes the atmosphere, to resonate a mood, "Oh God, from this day on I am yours!" And when the public approaches a fresh start of resolution, burying the ego and attempting an inner and outward peace once again. Diwali is celebrated in India once a year but for those wishing to see it stretched out you make Diwali the time you wake up each morning with a mood that benefit us all lets all celebrate.

I had five minutes to talk and so the message had to be succinct and to the point. At the end, everyone followed my lead of peace with two chants. “ Shanti means peace so lets come together on that : Shanti Shanti Hari OM Shanti. Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare.” Response was great! We lunched with the group and organizers of the event who where employees with a Hindu background. I met and spoke with chief staff members, one of whom is about my age and is the same Dutch background and who’s wife teaches yoga. We hit it on well. The program wrapped up within an hour and a half.

Another day was lit up and this time with Diwali cheer.

7 Km

No comments: