Monday 21 February 2011

Friday, February 18th, 2011

Man On Line

Delhi / Kolkata

I never would have believed it if someone told me that you could have a fairly comfortable rest in the Delhi Airport. A carpeted clean floor, quiet corridor made for a perfect bedroom. As vairagis (renunciates) our party of four had no problem with such conditions as lying down in simple circumstances dozing for a few hours in the night.

As the sun rose, the airport became more active. We also rose. With a delayed flight it allowed time to wander and wait. At moments like this it's always a good exercise in patience.

Sitting next to me was a man with a computer going on-line. We chatted. I asked him if he was en route to Kolkata for business. Politely and with a smile, he answered in a very special way.

"No, it's not a business trip. It's service."

I came back saying, "Oh, I'm sorry. You work for the government in public services?"

"No!" He said to clarify a point. "It's a service that I do as I am with a company."

"Oh! I think I understand. The word business is somewhat harsh. It's like saying 'I don't work, I see it as play or recreation.'"

To that remark he lit up even more. I expressed to him that I do my devotions and it never ever appears to be a drudgery. The remark resonated so well with him over the choice of words. I thought 'wouldn't it be great if the whole world would see their engagement as a contribution. You have to love your work or employment. You sometimes hear people say, "I gotta go to work." Wouldn't it be brighter and in the right spirit to say, "I get to go to work" as in no cynicism implied?'

The man reminded me that we approach each task with joy. And as he smiled away carrying himself well-mannered it now became time to board.

2 KM

No comments: