Saturday 15 January 2011

Friday, January 14th, 2011

Isms!

Toronto, Ontario

The Eye Weekly's article "The War on God" is now a week old and the latest issue features feedback on the article about the Centre of Inquiry. This is a four year old organization dedicated to atheism, skepticism and encouraging critical thinking around the existence of god. Frank Bedek, a reader, wrote, "I found it meaningful that I picked up this issue on 'Eye Weekly' and read this story on the exact same day that I finished reading Richard Dawkins, 'The God Delusion'. I take it as a sign that I'm on the right path."

The editor's feedback was, "We ask, a sign from whom?" That remark gave me a chuckle. And I appreciated that a dear godbrother, Thakur Haridas, who brought me the Eye Weekly pointed out with genuine pride that his remarks were also in this section. In his response he challenges the inquiry group, "What if you are wrong and He exists in all His glory? You are going to be obliterated. I have been a serious devotee of God for over two years and He is clobbering me. I can't imagine what He is going to do to you guys."

Our guru, Srila Prabhupada, was always anxious to challenge the atheistic tendency as it carries a bleak outlook on life. The waters of atheism are indeed shallow whereas the water of theism allows one to swim with depth where hope, faith and love are the dolphins of life.

One sign of God for me today was the visit of a dear monk friend, Gunagrahi Swami, who headed up our chapter in Buffalo years ago. He's a gentle soul, a real gift of God. It's hard for me to believe that he randomly came and that he exists by chance.

4 KM

No comments: