Wednesday 17 November 2010

Monday November 15th, 2010

Sweetness from Dawn to Dusk

North York, Ontario

Students at York University seemed to have really enjoyed the chanting. It was their anticipation to hear about the topic “The Yoga of Sound”. I was the guest speaker at the Krishna Club gathering and decided to be less theoretical and less rhetorical. I opted for the practical approach and just let attendees experience chanting for themselves. They required little convincing. Most of them were primed for hearing sound as opposed to talking about it. We stretched the kirtan session to the point of moving the body as well. Most students here already had happy encounters with kirtan and yoga poses. Tonight we combined both. We were bathing in ‘hot honey’.

And speaking of sweetness, I had a real great time with Godbrother Devamrta Swami conversing over a great meal. He had just returned from a retreat at a resort on Georgian Bay. For the first time his local and faithful following had come to experience the early morning monk program.

Henry David Thoreau speaks about the benefits of the morning. “In the morning I bathe my intellect in the stupendous and cosmogonal philosophy of the ‘Bhagavad-gita’”. So morning and evening the sincere seeker of truth will take advantage of the opening and closing to a day and press or squeeze the day’s passion in between with all the spiritual walls of fortification.

As usual my day began early, on foot, while chanting, and while doing so a woman rolled down the window of her vehicle (while it was her night) and said to me, “I love the peach.” That was a sweet remark, no doubt, which made no reference to fruit but rather the colour of the robes. I suppose she makes a spiritual jump for saying this.

6 KM

No comments: