Tuesday 1 September 2009

Thursday, August 27th, 2009

A Long Good Day

Nadi, Fiji

For the evening’s rest our small party of four were accommodated in a simple home 2km off Queens Road. The facilities were semi-primitive but pleasant. In truth, a monk gets fuelled by the austerities that come to him of their own accord. As I departed from the home (while the rest took their shower) at 3am, I headed down a bumpy, stoney road with sugar cane growing on both sides. At this hour who could be here at this lonely time? Only dogs bark in the distance.

I use a small flashlight (torch) during dark time like this. To my surprise, I found two natives crouched down next to towering cane plants. I was startled. SO were they. To them I was like an alien, I guess. They shivered in fear and demanded to know what I was. This is a remote area where bald-headed white guys are rare to be seen, let alone the robes, tilak markings on the forehead and beads in my hands.

“what time is it? They demanded.

“3.20am!” I said? Why are you’re here?”
“what are you doing?”
Questions! Questions!

“what do your have under your sulu (dhoti)? To convince them I was not a ghost, I showed them my ankles.

I mirrored the questions, “what are you doing here at 3 o’clock?”

It took a good fifteen minutes to convince them that I was nothing to fear. We ended on the note of handshake. But no, there was more.

“Take me to where you come from!” asked Roko the spokesman of the two.

“You mean planet Canada!”

“Yes! Yes! Take Me!.”

I insisted that I had to move on – pilgrim’s duty

I deduced that the two chap were field workers, a little intoxicated mixed with a dash of superstitions.

At Nadi, our small party of five planted ourselves under a massive tree next to the marketplace. I led the chanting. I thank Krishna for allowing me to walk to keep the lungs pumping well. Our chanting group belched out the mahamantra. The crowds came curious as you can imagine. We sang our hearts out. Some people snickered and laughed. But when our indigenous boy, Daniel, 6 ft 2, came to pick up the drum and join us the crowd suddenly changed their mood. They took us seriously.

During midday, I had covered 40km walking. My umbrella kept the sum from roasting me. Daniel and Rasa took shifts to accompany me.

Despite the long day enough strength was sustained for conducting a satsang, a spiritual program, at the home of Raghunath, an Indian devotee.

I believe that God in the heart is satisfied to see all of this.

40 Km

No comments: