Monday 31 August 2009

Tuesday, August 25th, 2009

Daniel Lost and Found

Pacific Harbour, Fiji

Radha Madhava, my stalwart associate for this trip, is telling people “Talatala”’ which means priest as we meet folks along the route. That’s in reference to my humble self. Fijians seem to have this natural reverence for the spiritual guide. Yes, just everywhere we stopped along Queens Road, whether Native or Indian, people carried this remarkable respect.

I revealed my mind to Radha Madhava how it is my strong affirmation that prasadam or Hare Krishna food and some entertainment, drumming and chanting would capture these hearts for their great experience. We came upon this villager that responded merely by our standing there. You just stand there and people come out of their house and come to greet. So imagine the response with the added features.

A young boy resounded “Talatala”’ which means priest, as we met Elike, 15, came forward and told us his elder brother was residing at our temple in Lautoka three years ago. So Radha Madhava sought him out and brought Daniel, 19, to the road to join us. For various reasons he left and being native, at times felt intimidated at the majority of Indian people. I reassured him.

“Why don’t you help us with the food and entertainment program we have in mind,” I asked. So he told people “Talatala”’ which means priest, as we met and stayed on.

“We will start with your village and organise something with the Suva Temple,” I suggested. It sounded so enticing to him.

In the evening I asked Daniel to play the mridanga drum right next to me as I chanted before a group of members at the Suva temple. My theme for talking was “working out of the box.” In other words, after constructing an attractive temple such as we are sitting in here to satisfy our community needs, what next steps can we take to advance a higher consciousness.

Lets consider our local indigenous people and give them an opportunity to explore the form of spirituality that embrace vegetarianism and a higher power that carries a most charming aspect – “Krishna”

31 Km

No comments: