Tuesday 3 March 2009

Friday, February 27th, 2009

Let’s Not limit the Notion of Charity.

Markham, Ontario

“Those three kids, street kids that acted in Slumdog millionaire now have money that will be put into a trust so that they can have a decent future. The movie producer is helping them with that and that is real charity. Not this promotion of vegetarianism and saving the cow.”

So argued a woman to me at an evening gathering at a residence of one of our congregational members. It was a deja-vu. Particularly her unwillingness to acknowledge animal cruelty and dismissing it as something not to be concerned with. The lady had a n attitude that remained unchanged for over twenty years since I’ve known her. I had had the same argument with her before.

I was on my first visit and outreach engagement since the catfish stung me and here we start with a fight. I did not dispute the slumdog Samaritan act, in fact I supported
The work of the movie producers in helping the kids. My point is let’s extend compassion and see that animals also have rights being psychologically and biologically like humans.

I took the stand, “The cow is our mother.”

“I don’t agree”. She protested.

“Is nature our mother?” Let’s broaden our perspective on the concept of motherhood”, I suggested.

She was kind for listening to that point and courteously (in a motherly fashion) said, “I don’t want to continue right now because dinner is waiting. “ Although not the host she did extend her hand to show me where dinner was being served. The smorgasbord array of delicious items was comprised of raita, a yogurt based prep, spiced rice with butter, paneer subji, a curd and tomato curry, lassi, a milk drink and more. Much of the prasadam dinner was dairy-based from the cow. I hold my ground on the position of seeing that animal slaughter is an exploitation to the cow and bull. Protecting animals and prescribing to a meatless diet is charity. And that’s no Bull.

No comments: