Friday 12 September 2008

Wednesday, September 11th, 2008

Wed. Sep. 11 / 08 - Kilkenny,Ireland

Our host over night was a man from Hyderabad from south India. Kalyana offered us his home for the night. After showering and dressing and making ready for the day, I opened the door to see the sky. The constellations were as clear as could be. After an hour of trekking on high way N10 towards Kilkenny a mediaeval city with a remarkably well maintained 13th century castle, my two support Irish monks pulled up with their motor home and out came Pragosh.

Pragosh is Irish born and he is a leader in the Krishna Consciousness movement. He wanted to join Igor and I for the walking experience. While he was his usual bubbly self, he did tell of grave historical moments in Ireland. Of course I have heard of the imposed one-crop-only staple diet, the potato which got hit by blithe, in the eighteen hundred's and caused a massive exodus of Irish residents for North America. Many starved to death. Pragosh told me of Oliver Cromwell, Britain's father of democracy, loved by Britain but loathed by Irish men. He took over Dublin by military force and oppressed the people. When have humans not been mean to each other?

There is kindness in the world, however. The other day a dozen army trucks were parked by the side of the road. Men who were with the forces, were outside the vehicles on a break. In order to dodge traffic, I had to take to tall grasses where the soldiers were standing. To the first soldier I met we shook hands and I told him what I was about. The entire group of men respectively moved aside allowing me to proceed. Some were nodding, apparently they heard about the pilgrimage I am conducting. One senior man asked questions, the most curious one being “Don't you get tired? “

My answer was “It's like military training, I guess “.

Pat Malone came to join our troop of umbrella-ed. The second half of the day, was another great battle with the elements , constant drizzle and wind . The walk is very cleansing internally and externally.

45 km

No comments: