Thursday 19 May 2016

Thursday, May 12th, 2016

Thursday, May 12th, 2016
New Castle, Pennsylvania
  
After the Article
  
The elderly man drove oh-so-slow on the country road and with pleasant weather he had his window down.  He went even slower as he approached me.  He turned his head and said, "Thank you!"  I simply guessed at the reason for the abrupt comment as he then sped along.  This man had read the daily paper and the article on the front page with picture captioned, "Hare Krishna Walking Monk visits the area," by reporter Nancy Lowry.  It happened more than once-- when I blocked out one hour for phone calls while walking-- that motorists stopped to congratulate and offer water.

Throughout the day hand-waves, handshakes, and voice gestures of well-being came my way.  An officer also stopped.  He was the only motorist who wasn't up on the news.  So he asked, "Are you looking for something?"

"No!  I'm just trekking and on my way to San Francisco."  With that he bulged his eyes and shook his head in a comic disbelief.  It was priceless.

When I finally got into the city of New Castle, where there was also overwhelming response, one man, another senior person, whose name is Evangelist Green Leaf, came over to my side of the street.  The 69-year-old was open and friendly and wanted me to have Jesus in me.  He out-stretched his right hand and welcomed the Saviour into my heart.  I'm sure we were a spectacle, because we actually sat there over the ordeal and were absorbed in discussion - he with his bright green top and me in saffron-orange.

I thank Nancy for the positive article that made the residents of the area aware that Hare Krishnas have been around now for 50 years and it all started more-or-less in Pennsylvania in 1965, when its founder, Prabhupada, came to present a new way of thinking and being.

May the Source be with you!

20 miles / 32 km




No comments: