Wednesday 4 May 2016

Sunday, May 1st, 2016

Sunday, May 1st, 2016
Toronto, Ontario

The Beggar Who Wanted More

The beggar, a young man, had his cup in his left hand as he sat on the cold concrete. As I walked by him, his eyes looking upward, I could see a movement of lips, but his voice was muffled. Traffic noise restricted my hearing. I responded with a, “Sorry, I don’t have anything.”

The beggar retorted, “I didn’t ask for anything.” I stopped, and then said, “Well, then, how can I help you?”

“Are you a real monk?” he asked.

“For 43 years.”

“That’s awesome,” he said, “can you tell me about it?”

“Well, I’m committed to a lifestyle of higher consciousness – addressing the needs of the spirit, the soul. Essentially, we are the spirit, we are not this body.”

“What do you do and how do you spend your time?”

“I have a few things on the agenda which includes pilgrimage.”

With curiosity still kindled he inquired, “Can you explain about that, and what do you get out of it?”

I conveyed it involves walking, meeting people, getting very much in touch with the elements and getting in touch with yourself. “You begin to see in these travels that sacredness is behind everything. Where are you from?” I asked.

“Everywhere.”

“I mean, where were you born and raised?”

He said, “Lindsay.”

“Your name?”

“Darcy.”

“Darcy, please chant this mantra (I gave him a card with the mantra). Come over some time to our ashram. We can have a great meal together.”

“I’d like that.”

May the Source be with you!

6 km

No comments: