Thursday 26 January 2017

Wednesday, January 18th, 2017

Houston, Texas


Big Toe Hurting


Anuttama and I, with umbrellas held up to stave off the pouring onslaught of rain, were dodging puddles on our way to early sadhana at 4:30 a.m.

“My God!” I thought, “Houston is usually as dry as a bone.  It’s been like monsoons all night.”

Here we were on a mere two-block walk, when I began to feel a creeping up of pain into my left big toe.  We made it to the temple after avoiding a near-flood-world.  An inflammation had started to occur.  Fortunately, Dr. Rao is in the room next to me and administered help with ice packs and also brought in another doctor from the community.

“It could be gout,” she said.

I looked it up and inquired online about better foods for this type of agitation with pain of an arthritic nature.  As you can imagine, sugar is a big culprit, along with nightshade veggies like potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant.  Helpful foods are pineapple, turmeric, ginger and devil’s claw.  I’m missing a few points here on food.  Oh yes, bagels and pasta aren’t good, and barbecued anything is bad.  No problem for those of us on the veg diet.

The point is I’ll have to take care, and keep my left foot and leg raised when in a reclining position.  “Don’t walk today,” said Dr. Rao. 

Still, I went through some meaningful meetings, some involving pushing to promote female gurus in our society.  For if someone is qualified in a woman’s body, why not help the male gurus who can use the relief?  I felt less pain in the course of talking on that topic.  Kept me alive in the meeting.

May the Source be with you!


0 km

No comments: