Tuesday 24 January 2017

Saturday, January 14th, 2017

Better Hope, Guyana


Gets Better


With each passing day the padayatra just gets better.  More participants is one of the reasons for this.  People have more time on Saturday.

Our procession started at a gas station and we proceeded on from there along one straight and single road.  There were no turns.  The beat was strong and steady, coming from the boys on the mrdangas.  I commend them for staying on and playing.  The four of them who began on the drums showed their stamina.  There is something to be said about being steadfast.  It is considered a quality of a saint.

The marching along was also steady.  Now, I never saw the film, “Saturday Night Fever,” but I recall the Toronto Star newspaper, years ago, comparing the Sunday kirtan at the temple to the energy of the dancing in the film.  Mind you, our dances at kirtan don’t get sensuous, as I’m sure the dance steps likely were in the movie.

The culmination of our marching, drumming and chanting was in the village of Better Hope, at a Hindu temple.  The stage show highlighted drama, kirtan and talks by seniour people.

I’m one of them, I hate to say.  Yes, I do live in somewhat of a denial regarding age, but the truth is the truth.  For people in their 80’s or 90’s, I’m still a babe.  For the young guys on the drums, I’m sure I am perceived as old.

I never thought I would get “there” but I’m “there” at 64.

A gorgeous shower of rain came and forced all participants at the outdoor culmination, to gain the shelter of the tent.  It brought us close.

May the Source be with you!


5 km

No comments: