Thursday 26 January 2017

Friday, January 20th, 2017


Houston, Texas


Man Without Arm


I took a gamble and tried walking down the street to my accommodation, a long block from the temple.  That was a mistake.  Inflammation increased in the left foot and redness from the infection was enhanced.

I did go for a blood sample as well as X-rays.  Diagnosis is yet to come. While in the waiting room, the inauguration of Donald Trump was being broadcast on the screen.

The person driving me, Krishna Krpa, a lively human with a bhakti heart, mentioned that the same broadcast was on all channels.

“Really?” I said, and I meant it.

What really boosted my spirit, was that short but sour walk which I risked my health on. A hydro truck was parked on the side of the street where two workmen were doing repairs to the hydro lines above.  One of the fellows was missing an arm; let’s say half of one.  From his right shoulder down to the elbow, he utilized what was there, while the complete left apparatus acted in full swing.  He was moving a cable and wrapping it around his intact arm.  It was done with such expertise, I think he could probably do just about anything; even in his sleep.

“How’s it going?” I asked him.

“Great!” I think I heard him make a happy whistle.

“Mr. Upbeat. Mr. Nothing Gets Me Down,” I thought. “How about, Mr. Life Is Wonderful?”

His spirit reminded me of my Dad, and more-so, my guru, Srila Prabhupada.  It’s those kinds of people who inspire.

May the Source be with you!


0 km

No comments: