Wednesday 16 September 2020

Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Rosedale, Toronto

 

Men Aren’t All Bad

 

I heard a car door slam and there she was, a woman, probably in her seventies, carrying a box of goods from her car to the front door of her Rosedale house. She was struggling a bit and my male instinct to help her carry that box to the house flared up. However, second instinct said, “No!” There is hysteria hyped up regarding strangers and thoughts of mistrust, as well as news reports of people taking advantage of others. So I let it be and decided to say nothing. I did speak about it with Victor, a young man who is in his late twenties, while he was walking with me.

 

“I was thinking to help that woman, who appeared a bit feeble,” I said as we passed her by on foot, midway to our destination on our walk. Victor resonated.

 

“I was having the same thought, but the response you’ll get is ‘what do you want from me?’ And so you can’t do anything.” He responded.

 

“You’re right! Culture has developed to a level where acts of courtesy are discouraged.” My next thought was, well, I can understand the lady rejecting my offer. I’m in saffron robes. I’m out of place. Whereas Victor is dressed smartly, all in black, is good-looking yet short enough to not come off as imposing.

 

The stigma exists—a stigma often tagged onto men. At times you feel like you can’t be yourself. Happiness comes from assisting, lending a helping hand.

 

When Victor and I completed our walk, and stopped at the steps of the temple/ashram where I live, I saw one of our senior women strain herself to get out of her car across the street. “Do you mind?” I asked Victor, and he immediately understood. “That’s one of our seniors.” I told him. He ran over, gently grabbed her arm and helped her across the street. She felt loved. He felt great. So did I.

 

May the Source be with you!

4 km



 

 

No comments: