Tuesday 30 May 2017

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Paxton, Nebraska

Animals

Last afternoon, I completed my walk at a farm where papa, mama, and baby bison were behind a fence on a rural property outside Sutherland.
Our day then began at this spot when Marshall put the high beams on to see our whereabouts. The lights dissolved their shyness and they moved on into the distance.
It was a day for animals—bison, cattle, birds, frogs, peacocks, even a hawk, and a bull snake. The snake was close. He was coming my way and I had to move.
There were party-animals, as well; two young men at 4:30 a.m. who when they spotted us, asked, “What’s goin’ on?” I encouraged Hayagriva and Marshall to chat with them. On the boys’ phones, they could display kirtans, chanting sessions, which the other fellows had never seen before. They were so intrigued with everything Krishna Conscious.
We also met Lawrence F. Wendelin.
“Can I give you a ride?” It turns out that Lawrence is a lay pastor for the Lutheran Church, and he was on his way to Church to deliver a sermon.
“It’s great what you're doing because the world is quite crazy.”
“That’s very obvious,” Wendelin said softly.
I continued to stride along with my heart warmed up from the enthusiasm my two monk assistants were showing, by driving to the nearest town to execute kirtan itself. In the small towns of Sutherland, Paxton and Roscoe, they had never heard kirtan before. Those in the bars and steak-houses were laughing and smiling, and some were bewildered to see the joy exuded by Hayagriva and Marshall.
You can follow Bhaktimarga Swami on twitter @BhaktiMargaSwam (no i).

May the Source be with you!

21 miles

.


No comments: