Saturday 20 May 2017

Monday, May 15th, 2017

Champaign / Omaha

Long Drive

A brisk walk for thirty-five minutes was all I could squeeze in before the long haul to Omaha, Nebraska.  Our Ford Freestar appears good on gas.  That is a tension reliever, for sure.

After eleven hours of driving on Interstate 80, we reached our destination, the home of Vanamali, our doctor friend.  I had time to reflect on the previous day, which was Mother’s Day.  In some unique way, I rendered some service to my godsisters in New Vrindavana, West Virginia.  It was lunchtime and the preparations were divine, for lips and tongue.  I had the great honour to take the preps around and carefully spoon out those great works of art in the form of prasadam (sacred food).

It was so heartwarming.  As a monk (a swami), I’m usually the recipient of kind gestures from many people, whether on my walks or during regular duties.  In a sense, it was a meagre gesture, but it was touching for my sisters who are all in their 60s or older.

“You don’t have to do that,” said one of the ladies.

“Oh, yes I do!  This is indeed a special day and mothers of the world, who are terrific, and nurture,  deserve every bit of reciprocation they are offered.”

These ladies, by the way, were like their brothers who pioneered a consciousness of Krishna in the western world.  Tomorrow, I begin to walk the first few steps of ISKCON’s 50th celebration.  Yes, love of Krishna made a stand in ’66 in the west, and in ’67 it actually went to the west coast when our guru, Srila Prabhupada so kindly offered a unique brand of bhakti yoga.

May the Source be with you!


3 km

No comments: