Sunday 1 November 2020

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

York, Toronto

 

Away From the Machine

 

I went for another shiatsu session with my yogi friend, Devananda, a.k.a. Marc Handelman, and it was a job well done. From there I had a great opportunity to walk back to the ashram via the Cedarvale ravine. Trekking in these ravines changes hearts.

 

Why?

 

Well, one reason I can think of is that you are removed from cars. These nice ravines, which are like tight green valleys, restrict the automobile. In that natural setting you are in a sattvic environment, which allows you to feel safe. I believe that if you are faced with dealing with traffic, and are having to cross the road with care, it just adds to anxiety. Those cars are monsters, and admittedly so, they are the necessary evils of our world.

 

It is most unusual but, when I did have to leave the ravine, a female motorist stopped as I was crossing, rolled down her window, stuck out her head and said, “Now you have a real good down!” Her smile was humongous. Maybe the kindness came out because the sun was shining. The good gesture practically contradicts what I was going to say about heartless people behind the wheel.

 

As a general observation, when you’re in the green away from the machine, the neighbourliness comes out in the individuals. I’ve made my point.

 

Walking south on Spadina and downing the steps at Casa Loma, the castle, offered a decent view for a pedestrian.

 

May the Source be with you!

5 km


 

No comments: