Sunday 29 November 2020

Monday, November 23rd, 2020

Toronto, Ontario

 

Cooking for God

 

I took my hand at the culinary craft today, cooking the noon offering. I have this great privilege being on the Monday schedule now. I feel blessed.

 

It’s been a long time since doing this seva (service). I love it.

 

Cooking brown rice, dahl soup, two veggie preps, chappatis, popadams, halava and, am I missing something? It was so exhilarating. You really have to be sharp when every item is over the flame simultaneously. I like the creativity of it all. It is quite the balancing act but, with Krishna’s grace, it all came together on time. I hope the main ingredient wasn’t amiss—bhakti, devotion!

 

In Chapter Nine of The Gita devotion is mentioned as the primary ingredient behind any undertaking, so when inserted into any job it transforms the whole operation. The technical term of this transformed product, when dealing with food, is called prasadam.

 

Okay, so the pujari (priest) arrived to the kitchen at 11am, preparing plates and bowels for the ritual offering to Krishna. I didn’t panic but had some concern whether or not it would all be ready for the offering. However, it was done in time.

 

I tried my best and I must say devotees liked the end product. I didn’t have to resort to any deep frying and kept spicing to a moderate level. Healthy is the best way to go.

 

Personally I wish I could have shared the end product with all of you. It’s hard to be self-critical so I just had to gauge it after the prasadam hit the plates of the others. It looked like it was well received.

 

May the Source be with you!

0 km


 

No comments: