Life in saffron could conjure up thoughts of the free spirit. You travel and live simple. You move at the whim like the wind.
In my case as all my peers, who excel in divinity far beyond what I could ever hope to demonstrate, there are some anchors. We belong to a society and with that come commitments. To make more clear my point, as leaders of a world-wide spiritual society we make vows. I was the fortunate soul to read aloud in the Samadhi of our guru, Srila Prabhupada, the "Oath of Allegiance" for leaders of our society. They may be regarded as healthy strings attached.
Here is what I recited and was repeated by all:
1) I accept His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada as the Founder-acarya and supreme authority of ISKCON. I will follow his teachings, instructions and directions.
2) I accept the Governing Body Commission of ISKCON as the ultimate managing authority of ISKCON, as directed in Srila Prabhupada's last will and testament.
3) I will abide by the Society's spiritual rules, namely: no illicit sex, no intoxication, no gambling, no meat-eating and chant a minimum of sixteen rounds of maha-mantra japa every day. I will follow the principles set forth in Srila Prabhupada's books.
4) I accept that of all of ISKCON's funds, assets and properties under my control or direction, is the sole property of ISKCON and in the event of my death, resignation or other relinquishments of all ISKCON responsibilities, all these shall accrue solely to ISKCON and at all times I shall have no claim on them whatsoever.
5) I will be guided by the directions of ISKCON's management, cooperate with the local GBC representative, and fulfill my duties in a serving spirit never intentionally acting against ISKCON's interests.
6) I will maintain the spiritual programs, standards and teachings established by Srila Prabhupada in the projects and with the devotees placed in my care. I further agree not to involve the Society or those devotees placed under my care in any activities contrary to the above mentioned principles.