Saturday 7 September 2019

Monday, September 2nd, 2019


Toronto, Ontario

On the Train and the Road

The passenger next to me on the VIA train was a sweet elderly lady from Dorval, Quebec, and by her own arrangement this petite lady was enroute to Niagara-on-the-Lake, then a stay overnight in a hotel room to attend the Shaw Theatre (as in George Bernard Shaw).  It was clearly a holiday for her.

I mentioned to her that Niagara-on-the-Lake is where the Bruce Trail begins, a trail that I have begun to tackle.  One thing led to another and somewhere in the conversation I mentioned my marathon walks.

She asked, "How long does it take to walk Canada?"

"Six months," I said.

"Did you do the Trans-Canada Highway?"

"The first two times.  The second two, I took on alternative routes."

As we were talking, the train at optimum speed rushed by all the greenery of forests and fields.  I was getting homesick for the road.  And when she mentioned September is the best month for walking, I had to agree, and that made me more desirous of walking long distances.  Oh well.  I'm afraid I'm anchored down with other responsibilities for the time being, and will have to settle for walking down Yonge Street, later in the evening after a meeting.

You know, whether walking down a road or working from an office, I do consider it all a great holiday.  It is a good life regardless of the challenges I face on an ongoing basis.  The challenges are usually people-based, yet I must carry on and enjoy the service to Krishna.

The train stopped at Union Station, and the sweet little white-haired lady was so happy to have met a monk, and certainly it goes vice versa from my side.

May the Source be with you!
7 km



No comments: