Friday 7 May 2010

Wednesday, May 5th, 2010

What a world!

Toronto, Ontario

Partha and I broke from walking streets to sit by a fountain where we sat to do silent Gayatri Mantras. After those peaceful five minutes, he remarked, “These early morning hours were truly reserved for the spiritualist!” I said I couldn’t agree more. We had strolled the meandering streets of Rosedale at the dawn. It did appear to be “our time.”

As much as we walked through “heaven” I couldn’t help but be taxed by the talks held in the best company of monks in the last few days of the current Kali Yuga overtones. “Kali Yuga” is in reference to the dark days of our present times. I smiled through these talks in my mind.

As a child you didn’t hear of asthma or allergy attacks. You do now. As a child you would never dream of four letter words penetrating mainstream music. As a child growing up in farmland you would never dream of farmers committing suicide in astronomical numbers. You would never think that dogs would replace children and outnumber them visibly on the streets. It would be unthinkable that someone would conceive of the idea that seeds would be modified to not reproduce more. I can go on but I won’t.

Maybe we want to consider “the times they are a changing” but for better or worse is the real question here? Whose time is it really? For the demoniac forces? I should think so. I do wonder about these obvious “wrongs” and feel some level of despair.

What does come to mind is the last verse from the Gita. That gives me some solace.

“Wherever there is Krishna, the master of all mystics, and wherever there is Arjuna, the supreme archer, there will also certainly be opulence, victory, extraordinary power, and morality.”

No comments: