Friday 16 February 2018

Tuesday, February 13th, 2018

Mayapura, West Bengal

Chaya Got Married

I was asked to deliver the morning bhakti class.  The talk was based on a verse from the book Bhagavatam, Canto 7, verse 40 from chapter 4.  I was given a choice as to where to speak from.  Since today was the celebration of the Adi Vas, invoking a celebration of a five day chanting marathon, I thought it appropriate to explore a verse which highlights the feelings (bhavana) from chanting.

Now I’m not a scholar but I attempted to put out the best I could.  I employed the technique of charades (or pantomime as friend Suresvara put it) to engage the crowd in the reading of the verse’s purport.

My day began as such, with an early class to accommodate the start of the marathon.  My breakfast became a meeting.  That was actually pleasant.  Then a stretch of meetings of a more formal nature took me to three o’clock, followed by a drama practice.

One of our Canadian girls, Chaya, received her wedding blessings and tied the knot (equated to receiving a ring in a Western context) with Abhay, a fine young chap of Latina heritage.

The wedding and vows were held on a rooftop and I had to cut short my visit to attend to our drama.  A special feature of tonight’s occasion was the one hundred plus Chinese pilgrims who grouped together for a stage delight.  And delighted they were.

May the Source be with you!
5 km


No comments: