Tuesday 13 February 2018

Sunday, February 11th, 2018

Mayapura, West Bengal

A Day’s Steps and Questions

From my room, #506 in the Gada Building, the Samadhi Auditorium is a walking distance of 0.6 km.  I go back and forth completing that measurement at least twice in a day.  In the morning, I trek along a 2.5 km stretch with a group of companions as we chant the maha mantra.  In addition to that I walk to the room where I meet with my peers at least twice.  Then I walk to eat.

This moving from one building to the next is like being a student on a campus.  I get my mileage in, I get my breaks and I get some exercise in.   https://instagram.com/p/BfFJMXTFZgS/

I imagine locals do the same.  There is little obesity in the villages of Bengal.  Those of us who are foreigners appear in more bad shape.  It’s not surprising.  We represent the ‘developed’ world, while places like India are on the list as ‘developing’.  I don’t know when a nation crosses the line.  One interpretation for the ‘developed’ world could be when one becomes self-indulgent, spoiled and has earned the prize as a fat cat.

Anyway, I can’t be too critical.  Even “The Walking Monk” may have a few excessive pounds than necessary.  It’s something I’m not proud of.

I’m asked one question by someone almost every day in Mayapura. “What’s your next walking venture?”

My answer to that is, “I plan a week on the famous Camino in Spain, as well as starting a trek on Canada’s oldest foot path—The Bruce Trail.”

May the Source be with you!

6 km

No comments: