Saturday, March 25th, 2017
I covered 3 km, pacing in Toronto’s temple room, before embarking on the flight to Miami on American Airlines. That was a greater distance to go. I was in the plane for three and a half hours. I was quite alert—but troubled. Most other passengers had their naps, or partial naps.
I had received the sad news that a family of four were found dead in their home in a remote village that I visit. Saranagati is a quaint little settlement of a Krishna community, nestled in a mountain valley situated a day’s walk (30km) from Ashcroft, British Columbia. It is tragic.
Father, Mother, and two small sons, who were not active members of the social events of the community, were nevertheless members of the community. The dad, Harvey, I had known since the early ’80s when he lived in Ontario. He was quite the artist. At this time, it is not known the cause of death.
A member of the community went with his son to check on the family. They found them dead and called my dear godbrother, Krpanidhi, who went over to the home and, as a trained first aid responder, realized there was no hope of reviving them, as it was too late. He called the police. Whatever is the cause, it is a very impactful loss to the local residents, and to humanity. Authorities are investigating.
The great Queen Kunti, whom we read about in the scriptures, said that calamities are all around us. When they come, they hasten us to search for answers and to come to submission to the Source of all. When the overwhelming powers of this world come to haunt us, we ask for help.
Our condolences go out to the family and friends who survive this tragedy. Our blessings go to the souls who departed. Have a safe journey.
May the Source be with you!
Editor’s Note: It has been determined that the cause of death was due to Carbon Monoxide poisoning from a plugged water heater vent which had filled with snow.