Friday 7 October 2016

Tuesday, October 4th, 2016

Tuesday, October 4th, 2016
Toronto, Ontario

Remembering Saints

On a call, someone reminded me that today is the birth anniversary of Francis of Assisi.  Some records say he died on this day.  Whatever the case he is globally known for his kindness to all living entities.

Some great quotes from this 12th century saint are:

“For it is in giving that we receive.”

“Make me an instrument of Your peace.”

“Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.”

“Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.”

Today I felt a bit like Francis—not on the basis of saintly status.  I’m nowhere near him.  Today, like yesterday, I trekked on a trail amidst good trees (yesterday it was coniferous, today deciduous).  Chaitanya, of the early 15th century, was also a communicator with the animals, some ferocious by nature.

I was walking under a canopy of trees in a ravine, with companion, Karuna Sindhu, one of our best monks.  While doing so, I remarked that Krishna, in His youth, playfully moved about where there were trees and green grasses.

It’s easy to think of the Creator, within the green creation, in the company of good creatures.  I feel blessed all the way through.

Overnight I’ll turn 64.  I’m reflecting on the good people who shaped me, although not being thoroughly proud of all that’s me.  At least I can say I’ve been impacted by the best.

I thank my parents and my spiritual father, Srila Prabhupada!

May the Source be with you!

9 km


No comments: