Monday 17 October 2016

Saturday, October 15th, 2016

Mumbai, India
  
Who’s Who?
  
It’s good to know who’s who and what’s what.

Yesterday, when arriving at the airport, I got out of the cab and there was a youthful man with a yellow T-shirt.  Inscribed on it was “Don’t ask me who Picasso is.”  For humour’s sake I asked the bearer of the upper apparel, “Who is Picasso?”

I believe he didn’t want to come across as a totally ignorant person.  I appreciated him trying.

“I think he’s a recording artist.”

“You got the artist part right,” I said.

Now, at today’s mid-term meeting with leaders, elders, monks, both men and women, I had a chat with American peer, Niranjan Swami, at break time.  I told him about the fellow who didn’t know Picasso, but who seemed to be advertising for him.  Then Niranjan Swami said people today don’t know the Beatles.  He relayed a story of another spiritual Godbrother of ours, Sivarama Swami, and how he had shown someone the cover of a BBT publication, the small paperback, Chant and Be Happy.  On the cover are John Lennon, George Harrison and the founder of the Hare Krishna movement.

“Do you know who this is?” he asked, pointing to John.

“No,” said the newcomer, “but the face on the top is A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami, founder of the Hare Krishna movement.”

That surprised him.

I also had lunch with Tejujas and Kalakanta, who are both great promoters of the green, simple village life.  This is not the only Kalakanta I know.  This one’s Brazilian.  I have another dear friend, Kalakanta, who’s American, and who said of the confusion that arises sometimes, “I’m getting an identity crisis.”

As far as identity is concerned according to the Vedic perspective, “We are a spirit.  We are not the body.”

May the Source be with you!

0 km

No comments: