Thursday 6 October 2016

Sunday, October 2nd, 2016

Sunday, October 2nd, 2016
Whitehorse, Yukon

To the Great Ocean

“I have black curtains over my window,” said one of the lads who drove me to tonight’s program.  “I’ve had a hard time adjusting to the long sunny hours in the summer.  One day in June, the sun doesn’t even go down.”

Such is one of the interesting dynamics of being north, above the 60th parallel, in the Yukon.

I just had the best time.  In the basement of the United Church, our group hosted the weekly Sunday bhakti-yoga hour.  There was a much greater attendance tonight than usual, a response to the posters put up, as well as media coverage via the local newspaper, the “What’s Up Yukon.”

I introduced take-home Sanskrit words such as samsara (the cycle of birth and death) and of course, the maha-mantra, Hare Krishna.  Good questions came my way and I can say that my answers are never satisfactory enough for my ears.

One person did have one more private question.

“How to meditate more effectively, especially in dealing with the mind?”

Answer: Wash!  Breathe!  Pray! 

Rise early, shower, do some breathing exercises allowing good oxygen and blood to go to the brain, then pray while in a good sitting posture.  Pray for strength.

One of the prime prayers for strength is found in the book the Bhagavatam, uttered by Queen Kunti:

“My mind wanders and meanders like the Ganges River, but may that mind surrender at Your lotus feet, as the river makes its destination to the great ocean.”

May the Source be with you!

4 km

No comments: