Monday 7 September 2015

Wednesday, August 26th, 2015


Wednesday, August 26th, 2015
Markham, Ontario

Accommodate the Mantra

I had been carrying with me a wedding invitation card for some days. I was in anticipation of being present at a fine Sri Lankan style event uniting one of the boys I’ve known and guided during his youth to a young woman from Madison, Wisconsin. Finally, fruition hit. The day had come and that was today. The temple on Finch Avenue played host to the marriage of Cowsigan and Apilasha. It took me a while to get his name down, Cowsigan. I would verbalize it and struggle with it for years. We had a shortened version for his name, Kausik. Now, seeing the actual name in black and white and on the invite card, it comes easier.

At the event, I was offered to speak to the crowd to give a message of blessings to the couple. I was introduced as the one who does marathon walks – pilgrimage. It was a golden opportunity to insert kirtan. The musicians present there were poised to play as I introduced the maha mantra to the crowd. When I say “introduced”, I’m rather serious about it. This crowd is accustomed to uttering mantras to Ganesh, Kartikeya, Sai Baba but the maha mantra, I’m sure it’s rarely touched in this mandir (temple).

Here is the immortal spiritual sound of the maha mantra:

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna

Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama

Rama Rama Hare Hare

I saw truly happy faces emerge from the execution of chanting this great mantra (our guru, Srila Prabhupada, considered that any ritual was complete when this mantra was included). I could see Cowsigan was joyous upon having that kirtan tossed into the colourful rites of his marriage. Oh, and I gave him a big hug after the chant. We have this word, purnam, in Sanskrit, it means ‘complete’. Whatever is your endeavour, simply accommodate the mantra and make everything complete.
 

May the Source be with you!

7 km

 

No comments: