Wednesday 23 September 2015

Saturday, September 12th, 2015

Saturday, September 12th, 2015
Houston, Texas

Days Short and Long

Days are shortening in our northern hemisphere. It can be seen when out in the streets or in the countryside. I’m in the suburbs and the sun peeks out before 7 AM. In the dark, during my walk, I catch the sound of squeaky voices - their source I do not know. Little frogs perhaps? The Rottweiler, who bears a collar, is making his rounds sniffing and searching. I couldn’t understand why he’s roaming about so freely, almost like a stray dog.

A possum was doing much the same, although no collar. This guy is really free. I couldn’t scare him, neither with my footsteps nor even with my towering size. No intimidation from his side whatsoever.

I’m the only one on the street, or sidewalk shall we say, but I can never feel alone. I have this mantra with me. I then enter the temple room. Dozens of pilgrims are chanting with the use of their meditational beads. It is a beautiful devotional mood.

Then, after a great presentation by Romapada Swami, Bhakti Sundara Swami, and Vaisesika, I dove into our drama practice with two more run-throughs before actors donned costumes and makeup. Then came the performance. I announced, “Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome, ‘Gita: Concise’". The Gauranga Hall was full. The applause and its volume demonstrated eagerness. The show had begun. The lights went on. The character, Ganesh, sticks his elephantine head out of the curtain every which way. The curtain drew open. The magical message of the Gita was conveyed artfully over the next 25 minutes. The applause exploded.

It was all possible to assemble 'Gita: Concise' in 24 hours with the use of recorded voiceover. By the mercy of our guru, Srila Prabhupada, the show became a reality. The day was long.

 
May the Source be with you!

4 km

 

No comments: