Thursday 5 January 2012

Wednesday, January 4th, 2012

What He Wants

Toronto, Ontario

Good Samaritan? I don't know. I was trying to be what I believe my guru, Srila Prabhuapda wants me to be - helpful.

I took that evening much needed walk. I was south bound on Yonge Street when I saw a woman struggling terribly with lugging baggage on the sidewalk. It was a large duffel bag on tiny wheels which was reeling all over the place. I offered to help. She accepted. She was a Korean woman (the other day I met a Congo woman who was in distress).

"Where are you going?" I asked.
"Down the street." It ended up being a good 1.5 kilometres. I strapped the bag over my shoulder. It was medium heavy. She was curious about my spiritual and monastic life, about the term "Hare Krishna", about the Gita and the philosophy. She had a hard time accepting the concept of the soul being in bodies other than humans.

"There's no essential difference between humans and other creatures, even insects. We all eat, sleep, mate and defend. The soul, the living force is in everything," I explained.
"Oh, just one minute!" she said excitedly and rushed into a grocery store. I waited for a good five minutes, chanting on my beads. She came out and we proceeded to her building. She ended up being most appreciative. She then explained the reason for the cargo and the additional groceries.

"I'm leaving for Orland tomorrow at noon, by bus. I'm going there to get married and in the bag you carried is my wedding dress. Thank you so much."

"Congratulations!" She said she'll contact me after the wedding and honeymoon to learn more about what I believe.

I'll tell you readers what I believe. I believe I might be the first monk in history to carry a woman's wedding gown. I do think nothing of it though. I believe my guru would want me to be helpful.

5 Km

No comments: