Sunday 8 January 2012

Friday, January 6th, 2012

Prisoners

Toronto, Ontario

I rarely receive snail mail these days. One person who constantly sends letters as an update on his life is Dave. He's in a situation where he doesn't have the freedom to walk. Dave is a prisoner in the US and I"m sure he doesn't mind me sharing his letter which arrived today:

"Dear Maharaj,

Hare Krsna Guru-deva. I have a new celly named Chris Cherry and he likes to eat all my food. I found him stealing my oatmeal this morning. Just a token reaction for my sins.

But he likes to chant Hare Krsna, just out of the blue, so I will fan that fire. He is not really serious about Krsna but I will be humble and tolerant.

Now I know how you and mother feel when I sin.

Bhakta David"


From this letter we can sense Dave's realizations about karma and about being tolerant and being humbled.

One thing I would add to Dave's message is that we are all souls imprisoned in these bodies. We are all 'cellies' even though we might regard ourselves as free civilians. We are in this prison, this durga and we are locked in behind the bars of our strong desires. While here, our good conduct can make a difference. The 'key' to releasing ourselves from jail is bhakti (devotion), love - deep love for the Divine.

10 Km

No comments: